Topic: TotalMix FX for iPad app available in the Apple App Store

**********Update 06/21/2018, TotalMix FX for iPad 1.50***********

TotalMix FX for iPad is RME’s Windows/Mac software TotalMix FX ported to iOS. It gives control over the audio interface’s mixer and effects unit, when the interface is in Class Compliant mode and connected to the iPad.

*** This app does not work wirelessly. For remote control of TotalMix FX running on a Windows or Mac computer, please use RME's free app TotalMix Remote. ***

*** ATTENTION: This app works only with the RME audio interfaces Fireface UFX+, UFX II, UFX, UCX, 802, Babyface, Babyface Pro and MADIface Pro, and only when these devices are in Class Compliant mode! ***

TotalMix FX for iPad runs on iPad2 or newer, and all iOS versions from 8.0 up, using only few resources. As under Windows and Mac OS X it does not process audio, but acts as remote control for the calculations performed in the hardware. The app is fully compatible even when storing/loading Workspaces. Except for MIDI/OSC and TCP/IP remote control all features of the desktop version are included.

Using the Fireface UCX and Fireface 802 with the iPad, TotalMix FX for iPad unlocks the device's whole functionality, with full overview and lightning fast configuration.

For the Fireface UFX, UFX II and UFX+ the whole functionality is offered as well. Even DURec (Direct USB Recording) is fully usable and controllable from the iPad.

The functionality of the Babyface, Babyface Pro and MADIface Pro is slightly limited due to technical reasons. The effects Reverb and Echo are not available. All other features are present and useable with iPad operation. The MADIface Pro supports 24 channels playback/record, 4 analog and 20 from MADI.

TotalMix for iPad benefits from the background audio function in iOS. During ongoing recording and playback switch to TotalMix at any time, perform the desired settings or changes, then return to the audio app where record/playback had not been interrupted.

The app includes an extensive and up-to-date help. More information on TotalMix FX and the Class Compliant operation of the devices is found in the current manuals. These are available for download at http://www.rme-audio.de, section Download.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX for iPad app available in the Apple App Store

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/1_options.png

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/2_crm_eq.png

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/3_UFX_DURec_all.PNG

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/4_portrait_fx.png

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/5_UFX_DURec_PB.PNG

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/iOS/5_portrait_copysm.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

na klasse.. hatte mich so auf die App gefreut und dachte sie geht auch fürs Babyfade sad ...
Wird das noch kommen ???? Gekauft hab ich sie schon aus versehen ...

There is a reason why the first two replies to this thread are from babyface users who are baffled that we can't use this. The most logical setup is the babyface and the iPad.....why skip the babyface? Been waiting all summer for this...please tell me they are working on it and it will come soon....

Dear Matthias

Would you be able to say if RME plan for the TotalMix FX app to support the Babyface in the future? Or not?

Cheers.

It seems that RME are deliberately avoiding answering the Babyface question. They have removed the original statement from their website that said the app was for the Babyface. What is the issue? Was it just a mistake?  Surely you can give us answer?

Changing the Babyface to iPad mode is quite complicated, as its internal design is totally different from UCX and UFX. As we did not know if Apple will ever let our app pass we did not invest further time into this topic. Now we will do. It should be clear within the next two weeks if such an implementation fits into the BF's FPGA or not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthais

I'll wait to see how things develop.

Great job Matthias and the RME Team.. And you kept the cost of the app to a very reasonable price! Thank you...

Well, I have to say that I am extremely disappointed also. I waited for MONTHS and was happy like a child today, as I read on twitter, that the app is available. I couldn't believe my eyes, that it shouldn't be compatible with babyface.

I REALLY hope that you can make it still happen. Using my babyface WITH Total mix FX on my new iPad Mini would be just plain awesome.
NOT being able to use it would be just too sad.

Please tell us ASAP some good news!

11 (edited by coyote14 2013-12-13 10:47:22)

Great app, many thanks to RME.

2 things I noticed:
- the interface sometimes switch itself to 96 kHz resolution.
- When splitting a stereo track to 2 mono tracks, and settingthe individual pan to Center, the pan go back to left ou right instead of center, with no obvious reason.

Otherwise, tonight is my firsit gig with only my UFX and Ipad, I hope everything will run fine!

> - the interface sometimes switch itself to 96 kHz resolution.

No. Core Audio tells it to do so.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 867#p91867

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. I have found this topic just after my previous question.

no problem anymore about the mono / stereo track panning, it was a misunderstanding from the behavior of TotalMix.

Last night, first gig with UFX and iPad: nothing wrong, perfect, no bug at all. Again, many thanks for this app.

I am waiting for the Babyface integration too.
Using the Babyface for my Ipad now and want a second Babyface for another one.

I got the app and I love it. Thank you RME

RME Fireface UFX
PreSonus ADL700
(2x) Presonus DigiMax D8
Apogee ONE for iPad

What do you mean this app is not wireless?

MC wrote:

Changing the Babyface to iPad mode is quite complicated, as its internal design is totally different from UCX and UFX. As we did not know if Apple will ever let our app pass we did not invest further time into this topic. Now we will do. It should be clear within the next two weeks if such an implementation fits into the BF's FPGA or not.

Just wanted to check, if there are any news yet? It´s about two weeks later now, maybe RME has any news to share with its proud Babyface user group?? smile

Hi, just curious if there is any update on Babyface compatibility? 

Thanks,

Jason

Well, we started working on it as the FPGA seems to have enough space. But first it is holiday season now (nobody working until January 6) and second we will have to wait until about end of January to be able to say that it will indeed be working (and not only fitting). So far it looks promising, that is all I can say for now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

EvilEmpire wrote:

The app is an iPad mixer for directly USB-connected UFX/UCX interfaces. You cannot control UFX/UCX interfaces connected to a PC or Mac. To do this use third-party OSC applications.

OSCAR for Android and iOS with TotalMixFX templates: http://www.oscar-app.de

Hi,I appreciate the update! 

Happy Holidays!

Jason

Hello,

When opening TMFX app with my ipad, statuts keeps "disconnected"

Ipad air
firmware updated to last version (353)
CC mode ON
"official'' apple USB camera kit (not fake chinese copy)

Other apps works with UFX in class compliant mode (signal goes through the RME)

May I ask you any help? (do I forget something? I really don't think so)
Many Thanks,

Simon

You forgot to activate the iPad mode when flashing the UFX, or did not use the latest firmware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That´s it.. I forgot to check "totalmix app support" while flashing,
Txs for the quick answer!
Simon

Really dissapointing to find that the app I've been waiting for a year doesn't support my babyface. It was posted in your home site for months to dissapear once totamix for ipad was released. An attitude I hardly expected from germans.
Is totalmix for ipad going to be released? When?
You realized that it might not fit into babyface's fpga a year after you announced it?
unglaublich

Please tell us when and if totalmix fox ipad is comming or not, and when.

I now have a Babyface running with the iPad app in front of me. Works great! Please note this is preliminary stuff. A release of the new Babyface firmware will take some more time, as does the update and then availability of the iPad app on the App Store. But we are optimistic and will try to have everything ready at Frankfurt Musikmesse.

Oh, and anyone having a Babyface should be aware that you will get TM FX with EQ, but not Echo/Reverb. With the Babyface this is not part of the hardware, but rendered in realtime on the PC/Mac.  For various reasons it is not possible to do this on the iPad in the same way. In practise this should be no limitation as those effects are available in all the DAW apps that you will use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Matthias,

This is really great news! I can't wait to have that happen! Sure, reverb and echo would have been great, but having the ability of routing and of the comfortable adjusting options is really good to have.

Thanks to all the guys at RME for your hard work!

Marcus

Good news for Babyface owners!
Can you implement the ability to be able to save  Set Ups to the UCX's six setup banks from the ipad in the next update?

That's great news. Thanks!

This is awesome news! 

Thanks

Jason

MC wrote:

I now have a Babyface running with the iPad app in front of me. Works great! Please note this is preliminary stuff. A release of the new Babyface firmware will take some more time, as does the update and then availability of the iPad app on the App Store. But we are optimistic and will try to have everything ready at Frankfurt Musikmesse.

You lil' ripper! That's great news Matthias!!! Fantastic!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

hi matias

Is Possible to connect at the same time:
  Fireface UFX by USB with FX TM ipad app to use as control surface,
and the Firewire port to connect a MAC book pro to record simultaneously.

Can we do that?

the Firewire port in the UFX CC mode works?

Thank you and regards

No, it does not. CC mode is USB only, and the unit does not operate in two modes at the same time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think, Babyface will work in CC mode only on the iPad, am I correct? Can I use TMFX on an iPod in the future?

35 (edited by Mizan 2014-02-22 19:20:42)

Burtan wrote:
EvilEmpire wrote:

The app is an iPad mixer for directly USB-connected UFX/UCX interfaces. You cannot control UFX/UCX interfaces connected to a PC or Mac. To do this use third-party OSC applications.

this is very confusing for the ipad app. I will really appreciate if someone can put up a step-by-step guide how to configure PC/Mac and ipad to communicate. I can see lots of people are confused on this and I myself have tried everything, updating the drivers and FW but could not connect my ipad to "directly connecter" UFX to my PC. Needs Help.

AIO, UFX, RayDat User, Reseller for both Mac and PC

summer wrote:

That´s it.. I forgot to check "totalmix app support" while flashing,
Txs for the quick answer!
Simon

WHER is this option? I just now flashed the new FW but it did not ask me or showed my ANY such option.

AIO, UFX, RayDat User, Reseller for both Mac and PC

> but could not connect my ipad to "directly connecter" UFX to my PC

I don't see what is confusing here when the text clearly says that this is exactly what will NOT work. Remote control via OSC (NOT the RME app) is explained and shown in many threads in this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Why RME could not make it free for purchase? I bought RME UCX, I spent hell lot of money, shouldn't I get the app for free? It's so not professional..

You all guys know for example SOUNDCRAFT. I bought a mixing console of Soundcraft, it's SI Performer, and the remote app for it is FREE! Why RME don't do that?

Are you for real?
The software costs €3, it's less than a cup of coffee...
How much did you spend on the iPad and UCX?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Hi,
Is there a Fireface 802 version planed?

Reguard.

The FF 802 is already supported.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

42 (edited by morphedprod 2015-11-30 21:35:48)

Can anyone tell me if the Totalmix IPad app functionality for the Babyface Pro includes the "Dynamics" processing compression section as it does on the full blown computer based app?

Dynamics are not rendered on the computer but the device, and the BF Pro simply doesn't have this feature.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please help a noob out! I just can't get it to work. I own a Fireface UFX, I'm using Yosemite, CC fw is 26 and everything seems up to date.

I put the UFX into CC mode, then reconnect the USB cable, and the USB blue led lights up. Then I connect my Ipad (generation 2, quite old but should still work) and open up Totalmix FX. Says "Fireface UFX disconnected" and there's no way I can make these two talk to each other.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time.

You forgot the Camera Connection Kit adapter?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am having the same issue FrancescoFiligoi has.  I do have the CCK adapter.  I've just spent the whole night trying to figure this thing out... Quite frustrating.
It would nice to have a clear, complete (from A to Z) tutorial on how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The tutorial (clear step by step instructions) is in the UFX manual.

I have no clue what went wrong with Mr. Filigoi, but statements like

> then reconnect the USB cable, and the USB blue led lights up. Then I connect my Ipad

don't help, as the blue LED will not light up before the iPad is connected, so nobody knows what he did exactly. With the current TM FX app and firmware in the UFX  it definitely works as advertised.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This app really rocks!

I use Auria as Daw and FF802 with an external pre amp for recording mostly dums.

Some questions what is bit unclear for me with TotalMix FX:

Is there a way to match gains with Totalmix and Auria? I have noted that if i set the levels "right" from 802 and boutique pre amp seeing them from daw (auria) after recording there are some OVRs according to totalmix. Before rec the levels are checked from totalmix also and ovr are not present.

Initial USB set up for Fireface is done with winPC and there is option DSP EQ+D for Rec is disabled. Few times after plugging 802 with iPad effect are in the recording path? Can this be controlled via TM FX using iPad app? How these are monitored are the effects in the rec path?

How to call setups loaded to Fireface with this app? I have saved few different setup with the app, but i am bit unsure what i am using...

Sample rate, can this be controlled via app. I see that recomented is xx kHz and current is yy kHz

Cheers!

- The Sound starts from The Artist -

Overs can be differently defined between apps. If you record analog with zero headroom Overs are not what you should be worried about. If Overs are there only during playback then check your playback level and routings within Auria.

DSP EQ+D is fixed within the record path in CC mode.

Sample rate is controlled by the app that you use for record and playback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Overs can be differently defined between apps. If you record analog with zero headroom Overs are not what you should be worried about. If Overs are there only during playback then check your playback level and routings within Auria.

DSP EQ+D is fixed within the record path in CC mode.

Sample rate is controlled by the app that you use for record and playback.

Thanks a lot!

Hope there will be possibility to select/disable DSP Eq+D in CC mode in some of the upcoming versions of this great app...

Cheers!

- The Sound starts from The Artist -